Purpose and Goals:
- ☐ Determine the primary purpose of the sign (e.g., advertising, branding, information, directional, decorative).
- ☐ Understand the client's specific objectives for the sign (e.g., increasing foot traffic, enhancing brand visibility, conveying specific information).
Location and Placement:
- ☐ Identify whether the sign will be installed indoors or outdoors.
- ☐ Measure the available space for the sign and note down dimensions.
- ☐ Consider the visibility and readability from various angles and distances.
- ☐ Ask the client for any design ideas, concepts, or inspiration they may have.
- ☐ Discuss preferred colors, fonts, and graphic elements.
- ☐ Inquire about the desired style (e.g., modern, classic, minimalist).
Content and Messaging:
- ☐ Clarify the specific content that needs to be displayed on the sign, including text, images, logos, and contact information.
- ☐ Ensure accurate spelling, grammar, and any legal requirements (e.g., disclaimers, permits).
Material and Type:
- ☐ Determine the type of sign (e.g., illuminated, non-illuminated, dimensional letters, vinyl graphics, banners).
- ☐ Discuss material options (e.g., wood, metal, plastic, acrylic, glass) based on durability, aesthetics, and budget considerations.
Budget and Timeline:
- ☐ Establish the client's budget for the project.
- ☐ Agree on a timeline, including deadlines for design, production, and installation.
- ☐ Research local sign regulations, permits, and zoning restrictions that may apply to the installation of the sign.
- ☐ Inform the client about any potential challenges or additional costs related to compliance.
Installation and Maintenance:
- ☐ Discuss installation requirements and any special considerations (e.g., wall-mounted, freestanding, electrical connections).
- ☐ Provide maintenance recommendations to ensure the sign's longevity and appearance.
Mockups and Approval:
- ☐ Create design mockups or digital proofs to share with the client for feedback and approval.
- ☐ Allow for revisions and ensure the client is satisfied with the proposed design before moving forward.
Payment and Contract:
- ☐ Provide a detailed quote or estimate for the project, including all costs (design, materials, labor, installation).
- ☐ Draft a contract that outlines the scope of work, payment terms, and responsibilities of both parties. Ensure both parties sign the contract.
Using this checklist will help you gather comprehensive requirements from your clients and ensure a smooth process from the initial consultation to the completion of the custom sign project.